[FieldTrip] Unsupported data format

Nakyung Lee rleese12 at berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 15 08:49:41 CEST 2016

Hi Arjen,

Thank you for your reply.
Your email got forwarded successfully.

So currently I tried using 'ft_definetrial' and 'ft_preprocessing'.
'ft_definetrial' returns an error when used with 'ft_trialfun' set to
default.
Below is the code I used (and 'signal_raw.mat' is a fieldtrip raw data and
it has all three fields you mentioned).

cfg.dataset = 'signal_raw.mat';
cfg.trialdef.event = subj_globals.buttonpress_times;
cfg = ft_definetrial(cfg);

So I simply call ft_definetrial with minimal configuration and here's the
error I got:

Error using ft_read_header (line 2194)
unsupported header format "matlab"

Error in ft_trialfun_general (line 78)
hdr = ft_read_header(cfg.headerfile, 'headerformat', cfg.headerformat);

Error in ft_definetrial (line 177)
    [trl, event] = feval(cfg.trialfun, cfg);

Error in trialdef_alsotest (line 12)
cfg = ft_definetrial(cfg);

I circumvented this issue by using my own trialfun ('ft_trialfun_test' in
the code).
We already have all the necessary timestamps so I could build a very simple
one.
Here's a new code (I ran the code with minimal cfg for 'ft_preprocessing'
to isolate the problem):

cfg.dataset = 'signal_raw.mat';
cfg.trialfun = 'ft_trialfun_test';
cfg.trialdef.event = subj_globals.buttonpress_times;

cfg = ft_definetrial(cfg);

cfg.continuous = 'yes';
buttonpress_hg = ft_preprocessing(cfg);

And here's the error I got:

Error using ft_read_header (line 2194)
unsupported header format "matlab"

Error in ft_preprocessing (line 397)
  hdr = ft_read_header(cfg.headerfile, 'headerformat', cfg.headerformat,
'coordsys', cfg.coordsys, 'coilaccuracy',
  cfg.coilaccuracy);

Error in test_trialdef (line 18)
buttonpress_hg = ft_preprocessing(cfg);

So both error come from 'ft_read_header'.
I've been looking at the code but it seemed quite hard to debug as
'ft_read_header' uses a lower level function that directly reads from the
file (hence it seemed like a simple fix like passing in a fake header
wouldn't work).
Am I doing something wrong here?

Again, thank you for your reply and let me know if you need more
information.

Best,
Rachel