[FieldTrip] Fwd: Identify a window of best correlation between ERP and behavioural data

Stephen Politzer-Ahles stephen.politzer-ahles at ling-phil.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 26 12:08:32 CET 2016

Hi Harold,

If you're only interested in identifying which timepoints have the best
correlation, multiple comparisons aren't really an issue; if you're not
worried about testing for significance, then the place where you see the
highest estimate is the highest. See e.g., Hauk et al. 2006 in NeuroImage,
and Smith & Kutas 2015 in Psychophysiology, for similar analyses.

If you're interested in finding a part of the waveform where the
correlation is significantly different from zero while also dealing with
multiple comparisons, you could use [spatio]temporal clustering (Maris &
Oostenveld 2007). Just make an event-related regression coefficient (as
described in Hauk et al.; just do a regression at each timepoint, and then
rather than plotting the ERP amplitude at each timepoint, plot the
regression estimate (*b*) at each timepoint, to derive a similar waveform)
and then test that waveform against 0 using temporal clustering.

Best,
Steve

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Oxford
Language and Brain Lab
Faculty of Linguistics, Phonetics & Philology
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~cpgl0080/