[FieldTrip] Comparing ICA methods between toolboxes (BESA vs. Fieldtrip)

Harald Bornfleth Harald.Bornfleth at besa.de
Fri Jan 15 14:35:11 CET 2016

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for bringing this up. I can try to shed some light on the ICA method used in BESA Research; however, I can not comment on the implementation in FieldTrip.

The method behind ICA analysis in BESA Research is the extended infomax ICA algorithm (Lee TW et al.: Independent component analysis using an extended infomax algorithm for mixed sub-Gaussian and super-Gaussian sources. Neural Computation 11(2), 1999, 409-433). This algorithm is very well suited to remove cardiac and powerline artifacts.  Depending on the data, it may also be used to remove ocular (blink) and electrode artifacts. To assess whether your artifact removal is trustworthy more information about your processing steps are needed. What types of artifacts are you trying to correct? What segments are you using to determine the artifact topographies and what segments are you finally correcting?

Best regards,

Harald

Dr. Harald Bornfleth

Product Manager BESA Research

BESA GmbH

Freihamer Strasse 18

82166 Graefelfing/Germany

http://www.besa.de

E: Harald.Bornfleth at besa.de

T: +49 89 8980 9968

HRB Munich 109956

CEO: Dr. Tobias Scherg, CFO: Theodor Scherg

Director of Research: Dr. Michael Scherg