[FieldTrip] Comparing ICA methods between toolboxes (BESA vs. Fieldtrip)

Harald Bornfleth Harald.Bornfleth at besa.de
Wed Feb 3 11:21:21 CET 2016

Hi Andrew,

We discussed this dataset, and we believe that the component which you selected (ICA #22) is most likely a muscle artifact. The ICA components are sorted according to their variance, so the component #22 is one with very little variance. The question is whether you actually need to correct for this artifact. You may find it on only one or few electrodes – may be worth checking. If that is the case, you might consider setting the electrode to bad.

The extended Infomax ICA method is not optimized for correcting muscle artifacts. It lends itself more to the correction of eye movements or cardiac artifacts. In the ICA decomposition that you sent, component #1 looks like an eye movement.

Components #17 and #19 look like they have mains frequency on them. You can get rid of this by using the notch filter.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Harald