[FieldTrip] Axes shift using ft_multiplotER

Ta Dinh, Son son.ta.dinh at tum.de
Tue Feb 2 16:51:17 CET 2016

Dear FieldTrip community,

My name is Son Ta Dinh and I am working in the Painlab group of Markus Ploner in Munich on EEG resting state in chronic pain conditions. I have recently started using FieldTrip and am currently trying to use ft_multiplotER to create an overview of the power spectra of all the electrodes in specific frequency bands. In principle, this works without a problem. However, I have noticed that the axes of the plot are shifted so that the origin is always included in the plot, even when my data does not include the low frequencies around 0. This creates weird overlaps as can be seen in the attached figure or the picture below. Is this intended or am I missing some setting to get the right plots?

My cfg consists only of the path to the layout-file, cfg.showlabels = 'yes' and cfg.showoutline = 'yes'
My data looks like this:
Data.label: {65x1 cell}
Data.dimord: 'chan_freq'
Data.freq: [1x61 double]
Data.powspctrm: [65x61 double]
Data.cfg: [1x1 struct]

Unexpectedly, when I change the hlim to e.g. [40 60] instead of the [40 100] that is shown in the figure below, the shift becomes even more pronounced.
When using ft_singleplotER though, the axes are shown correctly, without any shifts in x- nor y-direction.
As a workaround, I have tried setting cfg.axes = 'no' and cfg.box = 'yes', which fits the plots into a box and works better, though not optimally as the labels are partially covered.

I would be grateful if anybody could point out any mistakes in my usage of ft_multiplotER or offer better alternatives/workarounds.

Best regards,

Son

Son Ta Dinh, M.Sc.
PhD student in Human Pain Research
Klinikum rechts der Isar
Technische Universität München
Munich, Germany
Phone: +49 89 4140 7664<tel:%2B49%2089%204140%207664>
http://www.painlabmunich.de/
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D15DD9.EC4E83F0]