[FieldTrip] between group statistics of coherence

Johannes Tuennerhoff johannes.tuennerhoff at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 11:33:26 CET 2016

Dear Eric,
dear other experts,

We conduct a
 study that involves corticomuscular coherence analyses and I am still a bit new to the field.
Even though I
 read several papers and searched the fieldtrip mailing list, I am still
 not sure how to do the statistical testing correctly. I read your
message "coherence and group analysis" from April 21 2015 with great
interest and I was hoping you could maybe give me some advice.
There are two groups and each group has the same condition (a motor movement task).
 have the coherence spectra for the range 5-55Hz (binned at 0.3Hz) of an
 EEG signal x and an EMG signal y  in 24 healthy controls and 19
patients and I would like to test if there is a significant difference
between the two groups. The coherence of the individual subjects was
computed from around 120 segments of each 3s.

Specifically I have the following questions:

1.
 Can I use the fieldtrip function ft_freqstatistics to calculate
Monte-Carlo estimates of the significance probabilities and setting
cfg.statistic = 'indepsamplesT' using the coherence spectra as data? Or
would I need to do a manual z-transformation like
z1=atanh(Coh)-1/(dof1-2) beforehand? If I understood it right cant use
cfg.statistic = 'indepsamplesZcoh' because it is just meant for within
subject designs. Would I need to take tapers and segments into account
for the degrees of freedom?

2. Would I need to correct for
multiple comparisons when I use a Monte-Carlo aproach? If I would like
to, could I just use the cfg.correctm='bonferroni' or 'fdr' option in
fieldtrip?

3. I think I saw other groups just using a parametric chi-square test, would you consider this aproach correct too?

4.
 Would it be valid to conduct a repeated measures ANOVA first with GROUP
 as between-subject effect and frequency bins as within-subject effect?

5. Could I use the parametric tests (3. and 4.) after a z-transformation?

I will be very happy about any suggestions and opinions. Thank you very much.
Best regards
Johannes