[FieldTrip] Can I declare directional dependencies amongst variables before calculating MVAR model?

John Trimper jbtrimper at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:12:26 CET 2016

Hello,

My name is John and I am a graduate student currently using a multivariate
auto-regressive (MVAR) approach to analyze in vivo electrophysiological
data which I recorded simultaneously from four subregions of a larger brain
system. The goal of this set of analyses is to ask which of the subregions
might be Granger-causing oscillations in specific frequency bands in the
other subregions.

In short, my question is: With fieldtrip specifically, and the MVAR
approach in general, is it possible to declare the dependencies in my data
before constructing the MVAR model, and have that information constrain the
coefficient calculation?

To elaborate, imagine the four brain regions I recorded from (A, B, C, & D)
are connected unidirectionally, such that A projects to B projects to C
projects to D (A->B->C->D). Using MVAR as I have been, my model will find
coefficients for each of the four variables regressed on each of the other
four variables. Is it possible for me to declare the dependencies before
hand, such that when I build a model for B, I exclude C and D, only
calculating coefficients for A and B, but when I build a model for D, I
calculate coefficients for A, B, C, & D? Perhaps I have no choice but to
calculate the models separately, but moreover, is it possible to declare
that the brain regions are in series (unidirectionally projecting)?

Thank you for everyone's time. I apologize if I violated any rules of the
community forum or if this is a variant of a previous question. I couldn't
find any question similar to this one, and this question is my first to the
forum.

Much obliged,
John

information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
prohibited.