[FieldTrip] Fwd: ASSR and midline activity

Marc Recasens recasensmarc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:29:35 CET 2016

Hi Olga

I haven't looked at your code in detail. Just wondering whether you have
considered the possibility to be picking up genuine ASSR source activity in
frontal areas?
Additional ASSR generators outside auditory cortices have been described
previously using both MEG (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15925187)
and PET (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15276678).
It wouldn't be surprising that beamformer is showing sources not apparent
at sensor-level.

On the other hand, beamformer results might show a bias towards the center
of the brain unless normalized leadfields or pseudo-t/z are used (but just
by looking at your plots this doesn't seem to be the case, sources seem to
fall nicely over auditory cortices).
Beamformer output can be also affected by highly correlated sources, but
since you've used monoaural stimulation that shouldn't be a great deal here.
It may be worth trying a different source estimation method and compare the
results.

Best wishes
Marc