[FieldTrip] Aligning electrodes to template head model

Helen Wieffering helen.wieffering at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:00:05 CEST 2015

Hi Jia,
Thanks so much for getting back to me. If you have a free moment, would you
mind looking over my code? I have tried the tutorial steps many times, even
having changed the label of the GSN fiducials to 'Nz', 'LPA', 'RPA',  but
seem to keep getting the same incorrect results.

% ALIGN ELECTRODES TO STANDARD_BEM

% read electrode coordinates
elec = ft_read_sens('GSN-HydroCel-129.sfp');

% convert units to mm to match units of headmodel
elec = ft_convert_units(elec, 'mm');

% change label of fiducials
elec.label{1} = 'Nz';
elec.label{2} = 'LPA'
elec.label{3} = 'RPA';

% create fiducial structure
% draw fiducial coordinates from mri
nas = standard_mri.hdr.fiducial.mri.nas;
lpa = standard_mri.hdr.fiducial.mri.lpa;
rpa = standard_mri.hdr.fiducial.mri.rpa;

transm = standard_mri.transform;

nas = ft_warp_apply(transm, nas, 'homogenous');
lpa = ft_warp_apply(transm, lpa, 'homogenous');
rpa = ft_warp_apply(transm, rpa, 'homogenous');

% create a structure similar to a template set of electrodes
fid.chanpos = [nas; lpa; rpa]; % mni-coordinates of fiducials
fid.label = {'Nz','LPA','RPA'}; % same labels as in elec
fid.unit = 'mm'; % same units as mri

% alignment
cfg = [];
cfg.method = 'fiducial';
cfg.template = fid; % see above
cfg.elec = elec;
cfg.fiducial = {'Nz', 'LPA', 'RPA'}; % labels of fiducials in fid and in
elec
elec_aligned = ft_electroderealign(cfg);

% plot to check
figure;
ft_plot_mesh(standard_bem.bnd(1),
'edgecolor','none','facealpha',0.8,'facecolor',[0.6 0.6 0.8]);
hold on;
ft_plot_sens(elec_aligned,'style', 'sk');

For reference, the coordinates I get in the structure fid are the following:
fid =

    chanpos: [3x3 double]
      label: {'Nz'  'LPA'  'RPA'}
       unit: 'mm'

fid.chanpos

ans =

    35   -36     0
   118   -35     0
   -82   -35     0

If those are different from yours, would you let me know? I'm trying to
find out at which step I went wrong.
Again, thank you very much!

Best,
Helen