[FieldTrip] many ICA components looking the same

Stephen Politzer-Ahles stephen.politzer-ahles at ling-phil.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 29 07:31:19 CET 2015

Hello Vitoria,

I'm not sure, but one of my guesses would be head movement. That is to say,
if the participant moves her head an inch (for example) then the same type
of activity is going to start appearing on different sensors, and if that
movement isn't corrected for then you can indeed start seeing what looks
like many copies of the same component. (If you've done EEG, this is the
same thing that happens when, for example, you bring the same participant
back for multiple sessions on separate days and concatenate the datasets
together, but didn't put the cap on on exactly the same place each time.)
Do you have marker measurements you can use to at least check how much the
head was moving, and perhaps to correct for movements over the course of
the session?

Best,
Steve

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Oxford
Language and Brain Lab, Faculty of Linguistics, Phonetics & Philology
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~cpgl0080/