[FieldTrip] Granger causality - parametric and non-parametric calculation

Hähnke, Daniel daniel.haehnke at tum.de
Thu Oct 29 18:25:31 CET 2015

Thank you Jan-Mathijs for your opinion and suggestions! Thanks, Alik for the paper, this looks interesting.

Now that I applied non-parametrically calculated Granger-causality for my data, I have to follow-up questions:

1. During the computation of spectral factorisation, the implementation of Wilson’s algorithm complains that “when performing non-parametric spectral factorisation the frequency axis should ideally be zero-padded”. I guess this means that the frequency axis should start at 0. However, as far as I can see that’s not possible using ft_freqanalysis. The code then goes on and performs the zero-padding. I don’t really understand why exactly it does the padding the way it does: it seems to add other frequencies as well, so that the frequency axis the algorithm is actually working with starts with 0 and is followed by some frequencies that are even higher than the first frequency from the original axis, before the original axis is starts.

So my questions are: Should I be concerned about this warning? Why is the zero-padding of the frequency axis so weird?

2. I found that when I apply the GC computation to my data there seems to be some kind of edge artefact at the highest frequencies when I average across combinations that represent the same anatomical direction (see attached plot).
Why do I get this effect and is it related to my first question?

Best,

Daniel[cid:6282C030-CD90-405E-BCED-AD7F0DDA754A]