[FieldTrip] calculating behavioural-power correlation -- follow-up questions

Arjen Stolk a.stolk8 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:22:09 CEST 2015

Hi Martin,

Thanks for thinking along. I've briefly tried to replicate/simplify the
situation depicted by you using the code below. It works as I would expect,
no matter whether one variable is scaled differently. But perhaps I'm not
fully capturing the issue, and something still goes awry. This is a
possibility because ft_statfun_correlationT has only recently been
implemented for a specific case, and was never really tested within
different situations (hence it's not well-documented on the wiki). Do you
think you could use this example code to replicate the situation you are
experiencing?

Yours,
Arjen

% simulate simple multiple subjects timelock structures

data_brain = [];

data_behav = [];

for j=1:10

data_brain{j}.avg = j; % increasing

data_brain{j}.dimord = 'chan_time';

data_brain{j}.time = 1;

data_brain{j}.label = {'1'};

data_behav{j} = data_brain{j};

data_behav{j}.avg = data_brain{j}.avg*-1000+50; % add scaling difference

end

% compute statistics with correlationT

cfg = [];

cfg.method           = 'montecarlo';

cfg.statistic        = 'ft_statfun_correlationT';

cfg.numrandomization = 100;

n1 = 10;    % n1 is the number of subjects

design              = zeros(2, n1 * 2);

design(1,1:n1)      = 1;

design(1,(n1 + 1):(n1 * 2)) = 2;

design(2, :)        = [1:n1 1:n1];

cfg.design           = design;

cfg.ivar             = 1;

cfg.uvar             = 2;

stat = ft_timelockstatistics(cfg, data_brain{:}, data_behav{:});

assert(isequal(stat.rho, -1));

> Hi Xiaoming, hi Arjen,
>
> I've been encountering the same problem. I believe Xiaoming is right when
> he points out that the permutaion step shuffles data across conditions and
> that this introduces a negative bias in the distribution. I found the same
> thing when I correlated RT data with TFRs (absolute power). My distribution
> was shifted strongly to the left and, thus, not a single negative cluster
> was significant, but every positive one was.
>
> Xiaomings explanation made a lot of sense to me when I thought about it
> graphically: Imagine correlating two data vectors, one (x) ranging between
> .5 and1, the other (y) between 50 and and 100. When plotting this, one gets
> a cloud of dots on the upper left corner of the diagram. When you then
> switch the variable assignment of half of the data points (which is what
> the permutation step seems to do), these dots will now be be shifted to the
> lower right corner of the diagram. So no matter what the correlation in the
> original data, chances are that (given different scaling) after permutaion,
> you get a negative correlation.
>
> I am not 100% sure about this, so please let me know if I made a mistake.
>
> What I tried instead of the 'ft_statfun_correlationT' was using a custom
> made statfun in which I pass the RTs via the design matrix. With this, my
> results looked much better. I am not sure, but I guess this is because
> there is no shuffling between the two variables in this case.
>
> I would really like to know, what is the right way of doing this using
> just the FieldTrip functions. Is there a way to permute data within
> variables? I tried cfg.resampling = 'bootstrap', but this is not a
> permutation, as far as I know.
>

> Thanks!
> Martin
>

> ------------------------------

>>> cfg.parameter = 'powspctrm';
>>> cfg.method = 'montecarlo';
>>> cfg.statistic = 'ft_statfun_correlationT';
>>> etc
>>> design = zeros(2, n1 * 2); % n1 is the number of subjects.
>>> design(1,1:n1) = 1;
>>> design(1,(n1 + 1):(n1 * 2)) = 2;
>>> design(2, :) = [[1:n1 ] [1 : n1]];
>>> cfg.design = design;
>>>
>>> cfg.ivar = 1;
>>> cfg.uvar = 2;
>>> stat = ft_freqstatistics(cfg, dataBeh{:}, dataDX1{:});
>>> However, it seems when each time the design matrix is permuted,
>>> FieldTrip is using the same method as for 'ft_statfun_depsamplesT', meaning
>>> cfg.uvar remains the same while cfg.ivar (1 or 2) is randomly assigned to
>>> each subject in design matrix. Although I confirmed this by uncommenting
>>> line 313 (i.e., tmpdesign = design(:,resample(i,:))) in
>>> ft_statistics_montecarlo.m which allows to display the permuted design
>>> matrix in command line, please correct me if this is not the case.
>>> In my mind, this kind of permutation will cause trouble when dealing
>>> with correlation. For example, in my case, the behavioral data and power
>>> data have different scales. The power data are much larger than behavioral
>>> data in general. When assigning behavioral data into power group or vice
>>> versa, it will induce huge negative correlations between power and
>>> behavioral measurement. Therefore, no negative clusters will survive from
>>> permutation test.
>>> Please let me know if I have mis-understanding or if I did anything
>>> wrong. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!
>>> Thanks.