[FieldTrip] calculating behavioural-power correlation -- follow-up questions

Krebber, Martin martin.krebber at charite.de
Wed Oct 21 19:54:40 CEST 2015

Hi Xiaoming, hi Arjen,

I've been encountering the same problem. I believe Xiaoming is right when he points out that the permutaion step shuffles data across conditions and that this introduces a negative bias in the distribution. I found the same thing when I correlated RT data with TFRs (absolute power). My distribution was shifted strongly to the left and, thus, not a single negative cluster was significant, but every positive one was.

Xiaomings explanation made a lot of sense to me when I thought about it graphically: Imagine correlating two data vectors, one (x) ranging between .5 and1, the other (y) between 50 and and 100. When plotting this, one gets a cloud of dots on the upper left corner of the diagram. When you then switch the variable assignment of half of the data points (which is what the permutation step seems to do), these dots will now be be shifted to the lower right corner of the diagram. So no matter what the correlation in the original data, chances are that (given different scaling) after permutaion, you get a negative correlation.

I am not 100% sure about this, so please let me know if I made a mistake.

What I tried instead of the 'ft_statfun_correlationT' was using a custom made statfun in which I pass the RTs via the design matrix. With this, my results looked much better. I am not sure, but I guess this is because there is no shuffling between the two variables in this case.

I would really like to know, what is the right way of doing this using just the FieldTrip functions. Is there a way to permute data within variables? I tried cfg.resampling = 'bootstrap', but this is not a permutation, as far as I know.

Thanks!
Martin