[FieldTrip] biosemi bdf >> read_24bit error + no events found

bibi.raquel at gmail.com bibi.raquel at gmail.com
Sat May 23 22:06:40 CEST 2015

Have you resolved this issue?

From: Paul Zerr
Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎May‎ ‎14‎, ‎2015 ‎8‎:‎01‎ ‎AM
To: FieldTrip discussion list

Hi all,

I'm new to fieldtrip so forgive me if my mistake is obvious.

I want to import my raw, markerless dataset (http://www.filedropper.com/1_20) with

cfg = [];

cfg.dataset = '2.bdf';

data = ft_preprocessing(cfg)

However, I get

reading and preprocessing

error opening file: 2.bdf

One or more output arguments not assigned during call to "read_24bit".

Error in read_biosemi_bdf>readLowLevel (line 274)

  buf = read_24bit(filename, offset, numwords);

Error in read_biosemi_bdf (line 242)

      buf = readLowLevel(filename, offset, epochlength); % see below in subfunction

Error in ft_read_data (line 321)

    dat = read_biosemi_bdf(filename, hdr, begsample, endsample, chanindx);

Error in ft_preprocessing (line 578)

      dat = ft_read_data(cfg.datafile, 'header', hdr, 'begsample', begsample,

      'endsample', endsample, 'chanindx', rawindx, 'checkboundary',

      strcmp(cfg.continuous, 'no'), 'dataformat', cfg.dataformat)

Error in Untitled (line 19)

data = ft_preprocessing(cfg)

Using cfg.trialdef.eventtype = '?'; outputs "no events were found in the datafile" for ft_definetrial even for datasets with many markers. Converting to EDF+ did not help as it then says "channels with different sampling rate not supported". Specifying only one channel makes no difference. The file itself is fine (opens well in BvA).

Defining only one channel to preprocess gives the same error.

I couldn't find a solution in the archives, the faq, wiki or documentation.

I'm using debian stable & matlab 2014a. Same issue at DCC computers running windows & matlab 2013a.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated,

Paul Zerr