[FieldTrip] biosemi bdf >> read_24bit error + no events found

Paul Zerr zerr.paul at googlemail.com
Thu May 14 14:01:07 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I'm new to fieldtrip so forgive me if my mistake is obvious.
I want to import my raw, markerless dataset (http://www.filedropper.com/1_20)
with

*cfg = []; *
*cfg.dataset = '2.bdf';*
*data = ft_preprocessing(cfg)*

However, I get

*reading and preprocessing*
*error opening file: 2.bdf*
*One or more output arguments not assigned during call to "read_24bit".*

*Error in read_biosemi_bdf>readLowLevel (line 274)*
*  buf = read_24bit(filename, offset, numwords);*

*Error in read_biosemi_bdf (line 242)*
*      buf = readLowLevel(filename, offset, epochlength); % see below in
subfunction*

*Error in ft_read_data (line 321)*
*    dat = read_biosemi_bdf(filename, hdr, begsample, endsample, chanindx);*

*Error in ft_preprocessing (line 578)*
*      dat = ft_read_data(cfg.datafile, 'header', hdr, 'begsample',
begsample,*
*      'endsample', endsample, 'chanindx', rawindx, 'checkboundary',*
*      strcmp(cfg.continuous, 'no'), 'dataformat', cfg.dataformat)*
*Error in Untitled (line 19)*
*data = ft_preprocessing(cfg) *

Using *cfg.trialdef.eventtype = '?';* outputs *"no events were found in the
datafile"* for *ft_definetrial* even for datasets with many markers.
Converting to EDF+ did not help as it then says *"channels with different
sampling rate not supported"*. Specifying only one channel makes no
difference. The file itself is fine (opens well in BvA).

Defining only one channel to preprocess gives the same error.

I couldn't find a solution in the archives, the faq, wiki or documentation.
I'm using debian stable & matlab 2014a. Same issue at DCC computers running
windows & matlab 2013a.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated,
Paul Zerr