[FieldTrip] Pre-stimulus baseline correction for response-locked ERPs

berry van den berg berryv.dberg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 10:45:07 CET 2015

Dear Marijke,

I dont think there is a fiedltrip function to do this but I could be wrong.
There are two alternatives that you can do. First, the easy solution, which
might not work for your paradigm: if I make a response locked ERP I usually
ensure that only trials with an RT between 200 and 1200ms (for a lot of
tasks this is a reasonable criteria - 200ms is unreasonable fast and 1200
is way too slow). You can then do a baseline correction of [-1.4-1.2],
which would ensure that there is no stimulus evoked activity in your
baseline period. The second solution requires looping over your trials and
subtracting a custom baseline for each trial, something like this:

% rts is a 1*ntrials matrix containing the rt for each trial in seconds
for iTrial = 1:length(rts)
% take the mean of the data for each channel prior to stimulus onset (based
on rts), replicate this matrix until the size of your original data and
subtract these mean values from your original epoch
     tmp =
repmat(mean(data.trial{iTrial}(:,data.time{iTrial}<-1*rts(iTrail) &
data.time{iTrial}>-1*rts(iTrail)-0.2),2),1,length(data.time{iTrial}))
     data.trial{iTrial} = data.trial{iTrial} - tmp;
end

I hope that this helps!

Berry van den Berg