[FieldTrip] ft_sourceinterpolate fails when cfg.moveinward and cfg.inwardshift was used to create sourcemodel

Marlene Bönstrup marlene.boenstrup at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 11 21:30:46 CET 2015

Dear fieldtrip-community,

I struggle at plotting source reconstruction results, and my routine even
fails when using the template structural data.
I think it is based on a shortcoming of the ft_sourceinterpolation
function. This is why I am optimistic to find help in this platform:
I prepare the leadfields based on the standard_sourcemodel3d6mm, the vol
called standard_bem.mat, the electrode positions defined in
standard_1005.elc.
Since some of the dipoles that are assigned as "inside" in the
sourcemodel3d6mm are actually sticking out of the inner bem boundary,
leading to distorted leadfields, I re-prepare the sourcemodel based on the
following specifications:

mri=ft_read_mri('single_subj_T1.nii');
mri.coordsys = 'spm';
mri = ft_volumereslice([], mri);
cfg=[];
cfg.mri  = mri;
cfg.elec=elec;
cfg.vol=vol;
cfg.grid.warpmni   = 'yes';
cfg.grid.template  = grid; % sourcemodel3d6mm
cfg.grid.nonlinear = 'no';
cfg.moveinward=5;
cfg.inwardshift=0;
grid    = ft_prepare_sourcemodel(cfg);

this comes out with a vector of positions in three dimensional space, all
of them being assigned to inside and none of them as outside.
The leadfields prepared based on this sourcemodel look very convincing and
the ft_sourceanalysis function also works.
But the problem is to interpolate this on the anatomical image:
Nested in the function ft_sourceinterpolate, the function ft_checkdata,
specifically the subfunction source2volume leads to a misconfiguration with
all the positions of the functional data being distributed in to a full 3D
volume. In the end the orthoplot of the brain is a big fully activated
cube.

I hope someone has a good idea how to deal with this issue in fieldtrip and
shares his/her expertise with us.

Many greetings,

Marlene