[FieldTrip] Pairwise phase consistency: spikes and LFPs, minimum number of spikes

Daniel Hähnke daniel.haehnke at lrz.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Aug 27 10:47:50 CEST 2015

Dear Fieldtrip community,

I am currently analysing spike-LFP data using FT_SPIKETRIGGEREDSPECTRUM_STATS and a sliding window approach to calculate the pairwise phase consistency (PPC) between spikes and LFPs.

However, some of my single units have very low firing rates which leads to artefacts in my results. So I guess I have to either use an approach that doesn’t use sliding windows and/or only select single units based on a threshold of minimum spiking rate.

      Is there a suggested number of spikes to use for PPC calculation? Womelsdorf et al., 2014, for example (Womelsdorf, T., Ardid, S., Everling, S., & Valiante, T. A. (2014). Burst firing synchronizes prefrontal and anterior cingulate cortex during attentional control. Current Biology : CB, 24(22), 2613–2621. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2014.09.046 <http://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2014.09.046>) used only those PPC values that were calculated from more than 30 spikes. I guess they do that because PPC’s variance becomes reasonably small at this value. They don’t use a sliding window approach, so I guess I would need that number of spikes for each time bin?

Best wishes,

Daniel

--
Daniel Hähnke