[FieldTrip] Cluster-based permutation tests for between-subject design

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Wed Sep 24 07:59:31 CEST 2014

Hello Dylan,

You can analyse a between-subjects design exactly as you would a
between-trials design (at least as far as the statistics step is
concerned), in both cases the two conditions correspond to two groups
of observations, and not to the same group of observations measured in
two separate conditions (which would be a within-UO design). In
FieldTrip, you would typically compute averages per subject, then use
an "indepsamplesT" (or indepsamplesF with >2 conditions) statistic
(not depsamples). indepsamplesT only requires one row in the design
matrix, indicating the condition.

Note that if you have e.g. timelock structures in two (or more) cell
arrays, corresponding to the conditions, you can input them into the
statistics function as follows:

stat = ft_timelockstatistics(cfg, tlCondA{:}, tlCondB{:});

without having to call ft_timelockgrandaverage. In fact, the above is
the preferred way to do statistics now. (The same holds for
ft_freqstatistics.)

Hope that helps,
Best,
Eelke