[FieldTrip] 40% hanning window

Brittany Alperin balperin07 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 04:30:51 CET 2014

Hello

I converted my preprocessed data from eeglab to fieldtrip and successfully
ran an FFT, but I would like to apply a 40% hanning window. I'm assuming by
choosing hanning as my taper, it's applied to the entire trial. Here is
what I have:

%convert dataset from an EEGlab structure to a fieldtrip structure
data = eeglab2fieldtrip(EEG,'preprocessing','none')

cfg = [];
cfg.method = 'mtmfft'; %run an fft
cfg.taper = 'hanning'; %chose a hanning window
cfg.foilim = [4 7] %frequencies of interest. In this case, theta
cfg.output = 'pow'

freq = ft_freqanalysis(cfg,data)

Also, my data is made up of 2 second epochs. I'm assuming each cell in the
output (freq.powspctrm) is the  average of the power of a specific
frequency (e.g. 4Hz) within each epoch. Is this accurate?

Thanks for the help,
Brittany