[FieldTrip] which baseline correction to choose for frequency analysis

Stenner, Max-Philipp max-philipp.stenner at med.ovgu.de
Thu May 29 12:20:12 CEST 2014

Hi Katrin,

it sounds like you will end up using 'depsamplesT' as your statistic (because you compare repeated measures = 2 consecutive time intervals from the same subject or trial) - why do you need to use baseline-correction then? The pairing should already account for differences in baseline power between subjects (or trials). If you do need a baseline correction, I would not choose such a short baseline in the frequency domain, but go for an average over a much longer (.5 to 1 second) interval, particularly if you intend to baseline-correct single trials (because a short baseline is more likely to project noise from the baseline into your interval of interest). Also, keep in mind that ft_freqanalysis computes power across a time window (specified by you in cfg.t_ftimwin), so that power between -.1 and 0 may not only reflect "baseline" power.

Best

Max