[FieldTrip] using eeglab's ICA data with beamformer

Johanna Zumer johanna.zumer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 12:34:51 CET 2014

Dear Tyler,

Beamforming is one type of inverse method and it requires the sensor data
covariance matrix. It also assumes that underlying sources are
uncorrelated.    If you try to input data from only 1 IC, all the sensors
will covary together and any underlying sources that contribute to this 1
IC will be 100% temporally correlated.

You can apply beamforming to a mixture of ICs, mixed back from the
'component space' back to the 'sensor space' (see ft_rejectcomponent).
This is often done for example by excluding a few components which are
artefactual and keeping many remaining (presumably brain) components.
Normally the 'rank' of your covariance matrix is equal to the number of
sensors (rank is the number of independent rows or columns, i.e.
contributions), and so by removing a few ICs from the data, you have
reduced the rank.   If your rank is reduced relative to number of sensors,
then you should use the regularisation option (cfg.lambda).  This is true
for either LCMV or DICS.  However, this is usually only done when the rank
is still well above 1.

However, if you wish to localise the underlying sources of just 1 (or a
small number of mixed) ICs, then better to use a min-norm method which does
not depend on the sensor covariance.   In this case, you still must
re-project the IC back to sensor space in FieldTrip for the labels of the
data to match the labels of the leadfield.

See also:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/use_independent_component_analysis_ica_to_remove_eog_artifacts
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/minimumnormestimate
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/shared/virtual_sensors   (<- LCMV)

Hope this helps; please ask again if you need further clarification, or
please give a specific error message.

Cheers,
Johanna