[FieldTrip] Beamformer confusion

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Fri Jun 27 07:40:51 CEST 2014

Hi Tyler,

First, please send your messages to the list, so that others may
benefit (now or in the future through the archives).

Then, regarding your plot, indeed I think there might be something
wrong (though I am not sure). You are looking for a proper alignment
between the sensors (I have colored them red to be able to better
see), the source model (grid points for beamforming) and the volume
conductor model (translucent mesh; sphere in your case). I have never
used a single sphere model myself, so I cannot really comment on
whether the sphere aligns properly. However, I would suspect not,
since there are grid points located outside the sphere. Also, the
sensors might not be properly located, some are intersecting the body
of grid points.

But I do seem to recall that sensors are automatically projected to
the volume conductor surface in the case of EEG. Maybe someone who has
EEG source modelling experience can comment on this (and your figure)?
I usually only work with MEG, so I don't have the same intuition for
your kind of plot as with an analogous plot for MEG.

The following tutorial might be very helpful for you, by the way:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/headmodel_eeg

Best,
Eelke