[FieldTrip] Symposium : Towards a neuroscience of mutual understanding

Stolk, A. (Arjen) a.stolk at fcdonders.ru.nl
Sun Jul 6 10:43:42 CEST 2014

Dear all,

Here's a symposium I'd like to advertise. For program and registration, see:
http://www.ru.nl/donders/agenda-news/symposium-towards/

Yours,
Arjen

Symposium : Towards a neuroscience of mutual understanding

When : 1 September 2014

Where : Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Wundtlaan 1, Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Organizers: Arjen Stolk, Peter Hagoort, and Ivan Toni

Human sociality is built on our capacity for mutual understanding, but the principles and mechanisms of this capacity remain poorly understood. Progress might be limited because it is hard to capture the flexibility of mutual understanding with controlled experiments. More importantly, progress might also be limited because the mechanisms of mutual understanding lie in an interdisciplinary no-man’s land, with several theories pulling partial empirical observations in quite different directions. This symposium is concerned with bridging this interdisciplinary gap, fostering interactions between theoretical and experimental approaches on mutual understanding during human social interactions. The discussion will focus on mechanisms of mutual understanding, studied at different levels of organization, from cognitive systems to neuronal ensembles.

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Radboud University Nijmegen

Email: a.stolk at donders.ru.nl
Phone: +31(0)243 68294