[FieldTrip] interactions

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 08:24:36 CET 2014

Hi Josh,

Have you seen this [admittedly pretty old now] message from the
archives: http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2011-January/003447.html
? My understanding was that it is ok to test interactions in
within-subjects designs, and that you could do it by faking a dataset
that represents the interaction (step 3 in that message) and then
doing a dependent samples t-test. I had never heard before that
interactions can't be tested in a within-subjects design, but also
it's been a long time since I've looked at this issue--I'd definitely
be interested to hear if this is no longer the recommended way to test
interactions. I have seen messages saying that it doesn't work for
between-subjects designs (e.g.
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2011-September/004244.html),
but I'm not sure if that's still current. Hopefully someone on the
list can offer more insight about the second question.

Best,
Steve