[FieldTrip] ft_timelockstatistics

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Tue Jan 21 09:36:04 CET 2014

Dear Raghavan,

The statistics routines (specifically, the cluster statistics) need
each individual observation, and not just the grand average. If your
grand average data structure was generated with cfg.keepindividual =
'yes', then this should be fine. If you did not specify this, then it
will only contain the average (and possibly the variance), and you
would need to either rerun ft_timelockgrandaverage, or input the
individual data structures into ft_timelockstatistics directly. The
latter is nowadays the recommended approach; you use it e.g. like so:

ft_timelockstatistics(cfg, condA{:}, condB{:});

where condA and condB are cell arrays with the timelocked structures
for each subject.

Even if you do have a grandaverage with cfg.keepindividual = 'yes',
the statistics routine still needs one input argument per condition.
So if you want to compare two time intervals in the same structure,
you need to separate them first e.g. like so:

cfg = [];
cfg.latency = [0 1];
condA = ft_selectdata(cfg, bigstructure);

cfg = [];
cfg.latency = [1 2];
condB = ft_selectdata(cfg, bigstructure);

Best,
Eelke