[FieldTrip] Referencing

Conrado Bosman conrado.bosman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 13:47:24 CET 2014

Dear Hweeling,

There is indeed an easy way to re-referencing electrodes using local derivation in Fieldtrip.
You need to create an structure call montage, that in your case should be:

montage = []
montage.labelorg = {'E1' 'E2' 'E3' 'E4'}
montage.labelnew = {'E2-E1'  E3-E2'  'E4-E3'}
montage.tra = [1 -1 0 0;0 -1 1 0;0 0 -1 1];

then...

cfg = [];
cfg.reref = 'yes'
cfg.montage = montage;

dat = ft_preprocessing(cfg,dat) % dat is your original data structure containing your original channels

Hope it works!

Best,
Conrado