[FieldTrip] Correction baseline : removing the mean value or high-pass filtering ?

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Mon Dec 15 14:36:18 CET 2014

Hi Emmanuelle,

any high-pass filter will at least attenuate the DC offset (the mean) and a linear trend (by definition). A properly designed high-pass filter should have > 80-100 dB DC attenuation and thus, completely remove the DC offset from the data in most cases. As there are exceptions with extreme DC offsets, quite frequently observed for example in BioSemi EEG recordings, the mean is additionally subtracted from the data before high-pass (and band-pass) filtering in Fieldtrip. Have a look at the filter’s frequency response if available.

And yes, your reasoning is correct: a high-pass filter can be used to replace baseline correction in particular applications. This can for example be recommended if you cannot define a clean baseline as for example in many language studies (for detailed discussion see Urbach and Kutas, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.biopsycho.2005.11.012). Baseline correction would remove the mean baseline ERP topography from the data.

Possible (but not necessary) drawback is that you might need higher high-pass cutoff frequencies to remove slow drifts from the data. Take care of possible filter distortions with cutoff frequencies > ~.1 Hz (see Acunzo et al., 2012, pre-print version available here: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mvanross/reprints/Acunzo_et_al_in_press_lo_res.pdf and Widmann et al., 2014, pre-print version available here: http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~biocog/eprints/widmann_a2014jneuroscimethods.pdf for discussion).

Hope this helps! Best,
Andreas