[FieldTrip] Re:Investigating phase synchronisation in resting state eeg data

Haiteng Jiang haiteng.jiang at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 09:21:24 CEST 2014

>  Dear Hwee,

        In  your case, you can  calculate the phase consistency across
trials  at  each frequency, thus , you don't   temporal domain information
within each trial.
        I recommend you to use imagery part of coherence since it is
insensitive to the volume conduction . In FT .  you can specify
ft_connectivityanalysis
with cfg.output = 'imag'.  After this , you get chan*Chan  connectivity
matrix .   Regarding to the statistic, you can do   permutation test by
 randomize the  time sequence within each trial  1000 times then  calculate
randomized chan*chan connectivity distribution.   In the end ,you can use
cluster-statistic framework to find the synchronized channel clusters.  I
don't know how to incorporate  within FT.

                                                     Hope it helps,
                                                        Haiteng

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 15:56:09 +0200
> From: Hwee Ling Lee <hweeling.lee at gmail.com>
> To: FieldTrip discussion list <fieldtrip at science.ru.nl>
> Subject: [FieldTrip] Investigating phase synchronisation in resting
>         state   eeg data
>
> Dear all,
>
> I'm investigating phase synchronisation on resting state eeg data. However,
> I'm not sure if what I'm doing is appropriate. It will be great if someone
> could help me on this.
>
> So, I've segmented my resting state data into smaller chunks of 10240
> timepoints, which is approximately 2s per trial for my dataset.
>
> Since I'm mainly interested to know the phase changes at each frequency
> band, I thought the best way is to perform a mtmfft, using a hanning taper,
> with 'fourier' as output. I then performed a connectivity analysis on all
> the channels paired with all channels. Is this appropriate at all? Can one
> look at phase changes at each frequency band without taking account into
> time? Or should one look at phase changes at each frequency band along the
> temporal domain (time, in this case, it would be 2 s per trial)?
>

> Also, I noticed that there's the possibility to calculate phase locking
> value (PLV) and weighted paired wise consistency (WPPC). What are the
> differences between these two methods? As I'm interested to know which pair
> of channels are phase synchronised, how should I perform the statistical
> calculation? Also, how do I represent the data in this case, given that my
> reference channel is all against all channels?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Hweeling
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/attachments/20140408/96bf9c22/attachment.html

> End of fieldtrip Digest, Vol 41, Issue 18

Haiteng Jiang
PhD candidate
Neuronal Oscillations Group
Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Radboud University Nijmegen

Visiting address
Room 2.32
Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Kapittelweg 29
6525 EN  Nijmegen
the Netherlands

 Tel.: +31 (0)243668291