[FieldTrip] Investigating phase synchronisation in resting state eeg data

Hwee Ling Lee hweeling.lee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:56:09 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I'm investigating phase synchronisation on resting state eeg data. However,
I'm not sure if what I'm doing is appropriate. It will be great if someone
could help me on this.

So, I've segmented my resting state data into smaller chunks of 10240
timepoints, which is approximately 2s per trial for my dataset.

Since I'm mainly interested to know the phase changes at each frequency
band, I thought the best way is to perform a mtmfft, using a hanning taper,
with 'fourier' as output. I then performed a connectivity analysis on all
the channels paired with all channels. Is this appropriate at all? Can one
look at phase changes at each frequency band without taking account into
time? Or should one look at phase changes at each frequency band along the
temporal domain (time, in this case, it would be 2 s per trial)?

Also, I noticed that there's the possibility to calculate phase locking
value (PLV) and weighted paired wise consistency (WPPC). What are the
differences between these two methods? As I'm interested to know which pair
of channels are phase synchronised, how should I perform the statistical
calculation? Also, how do I represent the data in this case, given that my
reference channel is all against all channels?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Hweeling