[FieldTrip] Reject components on unfiltered data

Matt Craddock matt.craddock at uni-leipzig.de
Tue Oct 29 13:46:28 CET 2013

On 28/10/2013 15:40, Raquel Bibi wrote:
> Hi Eelke,
> I often wonder if it is better to filter or not filter prior to ICA.
> While Carmen never asked, I wonder what is the 'Fieldtrip' Donders' view?
>
> Best,
>
> Raquel

Hi Raquel, all,

I can't speak for the Donders' view, but a high-pass filter (0.5 Hz,
typically) before ICA often improves the quality of decompositions,
since it improves the stationarity of the data by removing slow drifts.
It's fine to then apply the weights from the resulting decomposition to
the unfiltered dataset. I'd be cautious about applying too drastic a
lowpass filter, as it tends to make the data from the various channels
more similar and thus less independent from each other - it sometimes
reduces the rank of the data, and ICA can behave a little weirdly with
data which isn't full rank. Another handy thing to do is remove the mean
of the whole epoch before running the ICA - see this paper from Groppe
et al. (2009) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2008.12.038

Cheers,
Matt

--