[FieldTrip] ICA in TMS-EEG

Herring, J.D. (Jim) j.herring at fcdonders.ru.nl
Wed Nov 27 09:28:56 CET 2013

Dear Bingshuo,

I agree with Max that it would be beneficial to see the timecourses as
well. Also, in case of ICA on TMS-EEG data I find it usefull to timelock
average the time courses of the ICA components to the onset of the TMS
pulse. That helps in identifying components that are related to the TMS
pulse.

Just from looking at the topographies I would say that component 7 is too
posterior for being a cranial muscle artifact given that you are
stimulating M1. Also, cranial muscle artifacts related to the TMS pulse
usually last up to about 15ms after stimulation onset (see for example:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/_detail/development/tms/art_cranial_muscle.p
ng?id=tutorial%3Atms-eeg ) unless you are actually referring to a decay
artifact
(http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/_detail/development/tms/art_decay.png?id=tu
torial%3Atms-eeg) , which can last up to one second. You said that you cut
and interpolated up to 18ms after stimulation so you should not see any
cranial muscle artifacts related to TMS.

Too me component 7 looks more like a topography related to posterior alpha
oscillations, however, to be sure we need to see the time courses.
Component 13 and 18 might be neck muscle artifacts, however, without
performing a timelock analysis of the ICA components and inspecting the
time courses it is hard to tell whether these are due to the TMS-pulse.

Component 42 and 54 could indeed just reflect two bad channels, at least
they seem to contain some variance that cannot be explained by a
combination of the other channels.

Best,

Jim