[FieldTrip] Antw: Re: MNE surface data: normalising and averaging?

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Mar 5 10:24:51 CET 2013

Hi Gregor,

To follow up on this: I guess what Jörn meant is that you could use the irregular 3D grids, as the target grids onto which the surface data will be interpolated. This makes the interpolated 3D-grid data directly averageable.

JM

On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Gregor Volberg wrote:

> Hi Jörn,
>
> thank you for your fast response! I wasn't aware that this approach also works with irregularly spaced surface grids as input. I will try it this way.
>
> Thanks again,
> Gregor
>

> --
> Dr. rer. nat. Gregor Volberg <gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de> ( mailto:gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de )
> University of Regensburg
> Institute for Experimental Psychology
> 93040 Regensburg, Germany
> Tel: +49 941 943 3862
> Fax: +49 941 943 3233
> http://www.psychologie.uni-regensburg.de/Greenlee/team/volberg/volberg.html

> Hi Gregor,
>
> would there be any reason why the following approach might not work?
> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/create_single-subject_grids_in_individual_head_space_that_are_all_aligned_in_mni_space?s[]=warp
>
> The specific steps are in more detail explained in this (new) tutorial:
> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/development/beamformingextended
>
> Best,
> Jörn
>
> On 3/4/2013 6:45 PM, Gregor Volberg wrote:
>> Dear Fieldtrippers,
>>
>> I need to ask for a helpful hint on MNE source reconstructions. Following this tutorial http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/minimumnormestimate I obtained nice individual cortical meshes and source points; the MNE forward and inverse solution for the individuals all work well. I would now like to normalize the individual grids to a template brain in order to do statistics and averaging for plotting. I figured out that I could use ft_sourceinterpolate to tranform the grid into a volumetric representation, and then use ft_volumenormalise to normalise to a standard brain.  But this did not work too well for source structures containing time series (like 'mne'-stcutures) where the computational load gets very high. I also tried to use a grid of one subject as a template for the other subject's grids with ft_sourceinterpolate and cfg.interpmethod = 'smudge', but this seems to require two grids with the same number of source points as input(?).
>> Is there a way to do a normalisation directly on brain triangulations / source grids ? Thanks for any help!
>> Best regards,
>> Gregor
>>
>> --
>> Dr. rer. nat. Gregor Volberg <gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de> ( mailto:gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de )
>> University of Regensburg
>> Institute for Experimental Psychology
>> 93040 Regensburg, Germany
>> Tel: +49 941 943 3862
>> Fax: +49 941 943 3233
>> http://www.psychologie.uni-regensburg.de/Greenlee/team/volberg/volberg.html

> --
>
> Jörn M. Horschig
>
> PhD Student

> [...]

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793