[FieldTrip] In the forward problem, how are the points for the grid.inside and grid.outside defined?

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Fri Jun 28 10:42:03 CEST 2013

Hi Ana,

inside and outside just describe whether the grid point is inside or
outside the brain. You can plot this to see for yourself:
% plot only what is inside the brain
figure;
ft_plot_vol(vol, 'edgecolor', 'none'); alpha 0.4;
ft_plot_mesh(grid.pos(grid.inside,:));

% plot the whole grid
figure;
ft_plot_vol(vol, 'edgecolor', 'none'); alpha 0.4;
ft_plot_mesh(grid.pos(:,:));

FieldTrip will use that information automatically to only use grid
points inside the brain, so yes, you can use the whole grid to compute
the leadfield matrix. If you do not want that, you can modify
grid.inside and grid.outside yourself.

Have fun fieldtrippin' :)
Jörn

On 6/28/2013 9:31 AM, Ana Sofía Hincapié Casas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´am new in FieldTrip and I would like to what are the grid.inside and
> grid.outside points and if I could used the whole grid to calculate
> the leadfields.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help you could bring me.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Ana Hincapié

Jörn M. Horschig