[FieldTrip] ROC_based permutation test

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Tue Jun 11 10:18:09 CEST 2013

Dear Shen-Mou Hsu,

With regards to your first question, I do not know the answer, so
someone else might help you there.

determine the parametric critical value for clustering", this is
caused by the value of cfg.clusterthreshold used. The default value
there is 'parametric', meaning that the statistics routine will ask
your 'statfun' to compute a parametric threshold for considering a
(time/frequency/channel)-voxel a cluster-member candidate. This can be
done by e.g. depsamplesT or indepsamplesT, as it is possible to
analytically compute a T value corresponding to p < 0.05. However, in
the case of the ROC statistic, no such parametric estimate can be
computed (or perhaps it can be in some way, I don't know, but at least
I know the FT implementation does not).

Fortunately, the statistics routines also allow you to use a
nonparametric threshold for cluster-member candidates, based on the
generated distribution of the test statistic under the null
hypothesis. To use this, simply specify cfg.clusterthreshold =
'nonparametric_individual' or cfg.clusterthreshold =
'nonparametric_common'. The difference between the two is that the
former computes a threshold per voxel, and the latter uses the same
threshold for all voxels. Which one is appropriate for you I don't
know. (Good reasons for using 'nonparametric_individual' might be a
strong variation of your test statistic with frequency. I know for a
fact this is the case with certain quantifications of phase-amplitude
coupling; these show much higher values in the low frequencies even
when computed on noise.)

Hope this helps.

Best,
Eelke