[FieldTrip] ft_megrealign how to avoid?

Stolk, A. a.stolk at fcdonders.ru.nl
Fri Jul 12 23:05:01 CEST 2013

Dear Nenad, You're welcome of course. You're right that after head movement compensation using ft_regressconfound, the sensor level data ideally is not used anymore for source modeling (see http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/how_to_incorporate_head_movements_in_meg_analysis -> bottom page, for why this is problematic), i.e. as is required for ft_megrealign. Optimally, ft_regressconfound is therefore used as a last step just prior to ft_XXXstatistics, whether at the sensor level (after ft_megrealign) or at the source level. To address your objective, i.e. showing that a difference is due to the experimental manipulation and not due to different head positions; using ft_regressconfound on trials of, say, condition A and B combined will remove any trial-by-trial signal variance that is due to different head positions from the mean head position of condition A and B. In other words, if a systematic difference observed between condition A and B is caused by systematically different head position between condition A and B, this difference will be removed by ft_regressconfound. If not, the difference may not be caused by different head position, and you have good indication to exclude head position as a potential confound. Yours, Arjen ----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----