[FieldTrip] problem using ft_artifact_muscle

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Feb 26 22:03:23 CET 2013

Hi Leonie,

> > ERROR:
>
> > Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals.
>

> > Error in ft_fetch_data (line 123)
>
> >        count     = count(begsample:endsample);

The error message indicates that either begsample or endsample are badly behaved. I put my money on begsample, in that its value <= 0 in the case of a bandpassfilter-order of 9. My guess is that ft_fetch_data tries to get some data that is not there. Did you check the cfg.artfctdef.muscle.fltpadding? In general, when supplying data in the input to ft_artifact_muscle, the value of this parameter should be set to 0.

On Feb 25, 2013, at 9:23 PM, Pascasie L. Dombert wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am a fieldtrip starter working on an EEG data set. I have a question concerning the muscle artifact detection function and I was hoping that you could help me with this.
>
> I am calling the function
>
> [cfg,artifact_muscle]  = ft_artifact_muscle(cfg,ref_data)  as explained in the manual (settings suggested) and get the following error message (see code + error):
>
> ________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> > %detect the MUSCLE artifacts
>
> > cfg                              = [];
>
> > cfg.continuous                   = 'yes';
>
> > % define trial first
>
> > cfg.dataset                      = 'xx’;
>
> > cfg.trialfun                     ='trialfun_general';
>
> > cfg.trialdef.triallength         =1;                   % creates 1-second data segments
>
> > cfg.trialdef.ntrials                   =   inf;
>
>                          % i.e. the complete file
>
> > cfg                           = ft_definetrial(cfg);
>

> > % cutoff
>
> > cfg.artfctdef.muscle.channel      = 'all';
>
> > cfg.artfctdef.muscle.cutoff         = 4;
>

> > % algorithmic parameters
>
> > cfg.artfctdef.muscle.bpfilter        = 'yes';
>
> > cfg.artfctdef.muscle.bpfreq          = [110 140];
>
> > cfg.artfctdef.muscle.bpfiltord       = 9;
>
> > cfg.artfctdef.muscle.bpfilttype      = 'but';
>
> > cfg.artfctdef.muscle.hilbert           = 'yes';
>
> > cfg.artfctdef.muscle.boxcar           = 0.2;
>

> > % feedback
>
> > %cfg.artfctdef.muscle.interactive   = 'yes'; % to adjust cutoff zvalue if needed
>

> > [cfg, artifact_muscle] = ft_artifact_muscle(cfg,ref_data);
>

> > ERROR:
>
> > Subscript indices must either be real positive integers or logicals.
>

> > Error in ft_fetch_data (line 123)
>
> >        count     = count(begsample:endsample);
>

> > Error in ft_artifact_zvalue (line 195)
>
> >          dat{trlop} = ft_fetch_data(data,        'header', hdr, 'begsample', trl(trlop,1)-fltpadding, 'endsample', trl(trlop,2)+fltpadding, 'chanindx',
>
> >          sgnind, 'checkboundary', strcmp(cfg.continuous,'
>
> > Error in ft_artifact_muscle (line 156)
>
> >      [tmpcfg, artifact] = ft_artifact_zvalue(tmpcfg, data);

> However, I only get the error message with the default/suggested values.
>
> When I use:
>
> cfg.artfctdef.muscle.bpfreq = [110 120]; and cfg.artfctdef.muscle.bpfiltord  = 7;
>
> I don't get the error message and the script runs properly. Does anyone happen to know what could have let to this problem?
>

> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Best, Leonie

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793