[FieldTrip] classification with 3 conditions?

Irina Simanova irina.simanova at mpi.nl
Wed Apr 10 10:07:09 CEST 2013

Dear Akiko,

you can use DML functions for multiclass classification: dml.one_against_one or dml.one_against_rest

one_against_rest builds one SVM per class, trained to distinguish the trials   in a single class from the trials  in all remaining classes. Classification of a test trial is done according to the maximum output among all SVMs.

one_against_one builds one SVM for each pair of classes (a pairwise comparison). Classification of a test trial is done according to the maximum voting , where each SVM votes for one class.

You can see for yourself which method is better for your research question/data.
You call it like this:
cfg.mva =  dml.one_against_rest('mva', {dml.standardizer() dml.svm()})
or
cfg.mva =  dml.one_against_one('mva', {dml.standardizer() dml.svm()})

best,
Irina