[FieldTrip] Frequency smoothing for beamforming

Yoni Levy yoniilevy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:14:12 CEST 2012

Dear Fieldtrippers,

I am trying to locate the source of an oscillatory effect at the frequency
of 30Hz in a time window of interest.
Before running the ft_sourceanalysis function, I run a ft_freqanalysis with
a frequency smoothing of 8 (cfg.tapsmofrq =8).
My question is whether there is any rule of thumb by which I could reliably
determine the extent of the smoothing?
I found out that even small changes in the 'tapsmofrq' value, significantly
alter the spatial localization of the resulting sources.
For instance, a tapsmofreq value of 8 would point to an effect in the
frontal lobe, whereas a value of 10 would point to an effect in the
parietal lobe.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yoni