[FieldTrip] ICA decomposition & backprojection

Jung, Patrick patrick.jung at esi-frankfurt.de
Wed Nov 14 18:24:32 CET 2012

Dear Fieldtrippers,

if I do ICA in my preprocessing to reject EOG and ECG signals, the new MEG guidelines say that this might alter later source reconstruction and connectivity analyses (which I aim to do).
So, worried about this, I wonder if applying ft_rejectcomponent on my raw dataset

1.)    automatically modifies the leadfield matrix?

2.)    the unmixing (and mixing?) matrix is saved in the new data structure somewhere (to evtl make use of it at later analysis steps)?

3.)    automatically stores the information how many and what ICA components were subtracted from the data in my new data structure.

Would you generally discourage to apply ICA in the preprocessing when planning source reconstruction and connectivity analysis?
It's a complicated topic for me as a clinician so I hope there is no mixing in my questions ;-)
Many thanks for your answers,
Patrick