[FieldTrip] Coherency parameters

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue May 29 10:28:42 CEST 2012

Hi Casper,

The approach I would take depends on your question.

If you want to test for coherence differences within a subject, your unit of observation is a trial, so the permutation test shuffles the trials between the experimental condition. In this instance you can use statfun_indepsamplesZcoh (with fourier-data in the input (i.e. cfg.output = 'fourier' when calling ft_freqanalysis).

If you want to test across subjects, your unit of observation is a subject, so there you can compute the coherence per subject and condition and then do the statistical test by shuffling the conditions. This has for example been done in the following paper: J Neuroscience 2011, 31(18): 6750-6758; doi: 10.1523/​JNEUROSCI.4882-10.2011

Best

Jan-Mathijs

On May 29, 2012, at 9:44 AM, Casper van Heck wrote:

> Dear Fieldtrip users,
>
> I'm currently working on coherency between EEG and EMG, so far without any significant problems. However, I'd like to get statistical significancy (in the hope that's possible) tested on my coherency-data.
> In the Fieldtrip reference there's a mention of something resembling statistics in combination with coherency (in the help of the 'STATISTICS_MONTECARLO' function), but I've not found how to call this function.
>
> My question is: is there a standard method to perform statistical analysis on coherency data?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Casper van Heck (Intern)
> Clinical Neurophysiology, UMC St. Radboud, Nijmegen

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793