[FieldTrip] beamformer results smaller than brain

Gio Piantoni g.piantoni at nin.knaw.nl
Thu Mar 29 11:13:19 CEST 2012

Hi Akiko,

Your headmodel looks pretty good and your beamformer plot seems to
cover most of the gray matter.

However, it's good to check the location of your dipoles in respect to
your headmodel. For example, you can plot the .pos field of your
leadfield. Something like:

ft_plot_mesh(bnd(3), 'facealpha', .5)
hold on
plot3(lead.pos(:,1), lead.pos(:,2), lead.pos(:,3), '.')

It might well be that your grid is too coarse and some dipoles just
happen to be over the edge of the brain. Remember that your
"beamformer_result.png" is just an interpolation of the values of this
dipole grid.

You can either try to make your grid more refined (but remember that
your computation time will significantly increase). Or you can
manipulate the way dipoles are considered inside or outside the brain
with "inwardshift" for ft_prepare_leadfield (although I'd advise
against using a negative value as some dipoles might really end up
outside of your brain mesh, with some numerical instabilities).
Another option (the easiest) is to nudge your grid by, say, a few
millimeters, so that the parietal dipoles will be just inside the
brain mesh.

HTH,

Gio

--