[FieldTrip] Beamforming analysis in frequency band, concept problem

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Tue Mar 27 13:27:27 CEST 2012

Hi Ion,

A frequency is by definition at least a peak and a trough(up flank and
down flank), making it one cycle (think of sinusoid here). Thus, you
could say that one needs at least one cycle of a certain frequency such
that it is eligible to talk about a 'frequency'. Just in case you don't
know it already, you might want to look things up as Rayleigh frequency,
Nyquist frequency, and I would suggest that you read (or start reading)
the digitial signal processing book: http://www.dspguide.com/

Note that a true oscillation is usually considered to last at least
three cycles (of course, opinions differ her - I go with four). The
length of the window of interest reflects the number of cycles that can
be estimated. For source reconstruction, make sure cfg.toilim is as long
as the number of cycles you want to estimate, e.g. when using cfg.foi =
10, then cfg.toilim(2)-cfg.toilim(1) should be at least 400ms when you
want an estimate of 4 cycles.

Hope it helps!
Best,
Jörn