[FieldTrip] beamformer results smaller than brain

Akiko Ikkai akiko.ikkai at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 00:22:46 CEST 2012

Hi Fieldtrip users,

I'm hoping that someone could give me advice on segmentation and beamformer
on EEG data. I have EEG data set based on 128 channel cap. Thanks to the
help I got in mid-Feb, I'm now able to create a decent
segmentation (seg_results image attached) and volume conduction model.
However, when I run beamformer based on these models, resulting beamforming
image is often smaller than the brain (beamformer_result attached).
Particularly posterior parietal and occipital map is NaN.

I have tried going back to segmentation and expanded brain by
using imdilate after ft_volumesegment such as:

newbrain = imdilate(seg2.brain,strel_bol(1)); % seg2.brain is original
brain tissue from segmentation

seg2.brain = newbrain;
seg2.seg = seg2.scalp + seg2.skull*3 + seg2.brain*6;

and run ft_prepare_mesh_new on seg2. Of course, I have to make sure there
is no intersect between different tissue types, so using imdilate has
limitation.

Could someone explain why this shrinkage might be happening, and how I
could fix it?

Thanks in advance! Akiko

--
Akiko Ikkai, Ph.D.