[FieldTrip] channel type (EEG, EMG,etc.) and when to filter data

Ivano Triggiani ivano_triggiani at yahoo.it
Fri Mar 16 09:42:10 CET 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm back to use fieldtrip after a long period, and now everything seems to work (I used .edf file and I had problem with trigger).

Now I have some questions, if someone would be so kind to help me:

1. I'd like to label my channel to select among EEG type, EMG type etc. because my acquire system labeled them all as EEG. When is it specified in cfg ? I can't find it! And if I can't, how can I exclude EMG,TRIGGER and EOG channels from ICA computation?

2. I have a lot of channel, but ICA gave me back just 33 of them. How can I proceed to obtain a correct ICA from my 56 channels?

3. is it wrong if I filter my data before ICA?

4. If I use ICA probably I can't use other source separation method (like BSS) to analyze my data, am I wrong?

Sorry
 if I post so much questions, but I'm back with fieldtrip and I want to improve my techniques.

Ivano