[FieldTrip] Questions on High pass and Dft filtering

Ingrid Nieuwenhuis inieuwenhuis at berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 30 03:09:22 CEST 2012

Hi Phillipp and Jörn,

I'm pretty sure that the padding for filtering is data padding not zero
padding, so this does make sense and should not bias the estimation of
the 50Hz noise. My experience with the dft filter is that it works very
will when the line noise is stable in amplitude, it sharply (the longer
the data/padding the sharper the filter) filters out specifically the
line noise. It can do this because the frequency of the line noise is so
stable.

However, when the amplitude of the line noise varies (which it did in my
data), this results in creating noise in frequencies outside 50Hz (if
your interested in why, this piece of the FieldTrip wiki
<http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/crossfreq/phalow_amphigh> sheds
some light on that), and the dft filter fails. I'm using a band stop
around the line noise frequency and harmonics. I'd recommend plying with
the values, and plotting to see which settings are appropriate for your
specific circumstances. Below you can find a snipped of code I used to
determine my settings.

Good luck,
Ingrid

------- code snippet -------
widths = [0.5 1 1.5 2 3 5 10];
orders = [2:6];

for iWidth = 1:length(widths)
     for iOrd = 1:length(orders)
         width = widths(iWidth);

         %preprocess data
         cfg = [];
         %cfg.event           = event;
         cfg.dataset         = [cur_path_MFF, 'NS_EMR_', subjStr, '_',
stages{iStage}];
         cfg.channel         = {'EOG*', 'EMG', 'EEG', '-E1', '-E9',
'-E32', '-E8', '-E25', '-E129'};
         cfg.demean          = 'yes';
         cfg.hpfilter        = 'yes';
         cfg.hpfreq          = 0.3;
         cfg.hpfiltord       = 1;
         cfg.bsfilter        = 'yes';
         cfg.bsfiltord       = orders(iOrd);
         cfg.bsfreq          = [60-width 60+width; 120-width 120+width;
180-width 180+width]; %note I'm in the US so have 60Hz line noise, you
might have 50Hz
         cfg.pad             = 0.5;
         cfg.trl             = trl(1:100,:);
         data_S1_clean       = ft_preprocessing(cfg);

         %do freqanalysis
         cfg = [];
         cfg.channel    = ['EEG' BadChan];
         cfg.output     = 'pow';
         cfg.method     = 'mtmfft';
         cfg.taper      = 'hanning';
         cfg.foilim     = [30 200];
         freq_S1_clean = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data_S1_clean);

         %plot
         figure;
         plot(freq_S1_clean.freq,freq_S1_clean.powspctrm(:,:))
         print(gcf, '-dpng', '-r300', [cur_path_fig, subjStr, '_',
stages{iStage}, '_W', num2str(width*10),'_O', num2str(orders(iOrd))]);
         close

         %zoom in around 60 hz;
         figure;
plot(freq_S1_clean.freq(22:41),freq_S1_clean.powspctrm(:,22:41))
         print(gcf, '-dpng', '-r300', [cur_path_fig, subjStr, 'zoomed_',
stages{iStage}, '_W', num2str(width*10),'_O', num2str(orders(iOrd))]);
         close
     end
end

--