[FieldTrip] Questions on High pass and Dft filtering

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Thu Jun 28 16:45:54 CEST 2012

Hi Philipp,

> The padding ensures that we only filter out a narrow 1/10 Hz wide
> frequency bin.

sure, I didn't think about that - that's a pretty good reason to use
padding :) However, the estimation of the 50Hz noise will be biased by
the padded samples. I don't like the dftfilter anyway, and I am not
filtering either (the reason for me is that 50Hz noise should be
invariant to the experimental effects. I mostly investigate TFRs).

>   but looking at averaged timelocked data for the subject, the data looks
>   identical to the result I get using no filter at all, i.e., contaminated by
>   strong line noise.

I'm gonna look into this to see whether it is a bug or not. I'll let you
know soon.

Best,
Jörn

--