[FieldTrip] Alignment problem in tutorial: Create MNI-aligned grids in individual head-space

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jun 25 14:40:46 CEST 2012

Hi Anette,

Case 1 does not look good because you are overlaying a low resolution image with a high resolution image. This is due to the cfg.downsample=2 before you call ft_volumesegment. (mri.anatomy is just 2^3 as big as the segmented images. Ft_sourceplot assumes all the to-be-plotted data to have the same physical size.
Note that  you replace the transformation matrix in the seg_MNItutorial variable with the transformation matrix from the mri-variable. This is incorrect, because the original mri has 1-mm resolution, whereas the segmented has 2-mm resolution.

On Jun 25, 2012, at 2:23 PM, Anette Giani wrote:

> Dear fieldtrip users,
>
> I am running the tutorial: “Create MNI-aligned grids in individual head-space” (CASE 1). When using the template mri provided on the homepage (i.e. Subject01.mri), it seems like the grid, the resulting vol and the anatomy are not aligned. And even worse: besides the misalignment there seems to be a scaling. Note however, that I am using the exact same parameter as specified on the homepage. For a better understanding see page 1 of Alignment.pdf attached to this mail.
>
> I found out that things improve when I use the segmentation procedure specified in the tutorial: “Build a geometrical description of the volume conduction model of the head” (CASE 2). See page 2 of Alignment.pdf.
>

> In particular, in CASE 1 I do:
>
> cfg = [];
> cfg.downsample  = 2;
> cfg.coordsys    = 'ctf';
> seg_MNItutorial = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri);
>
> % plotting case 1
> seg_MNItutorial.transform = mri.transform;
> seg_MNItutorial.anatomy   = mri.anatomy;
> figure
> cfg.funparameter = 'gray';
> ft_sourceplot(cfg,seg_MNItutorial); %segmented gray matter on top
>

> While, in CASE 2 I do:
>
> cfg = [];
> cfg.write      = 'no';
> cfg.coordsys   = 'ctf';
> cfg.output     = {'scalp','skull','brain'};
> seg_headmodelTutorial   = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri);
>
> % plotting case 2
> mri_combine = mri;
> mri_combine.seg  = seg_headmodelTutorial.scalp + 3*seg_headmodelTutorial.skull + 6*seg_headmodelTutorial.brain;
> mri_combine.mask = (mri_combine.seg)>0;
> cfg = [];
> cfg.interactive   = 'yes';
> cfg.funparameter  = 'seg';
> cfg.funcolormap   = 'jet';
> cfg.funcolorlim   = [0 7];
> cfg.opacitylim    = [0 1.5];
> cfg.maskparameter = 'mask';
> figure, ft_sourceplot(cfg,mri_combine);
>

> I am confused, why CASE 2 works, while CASE 1 does not. Could anyone explain the differences to me? Is doing it like in CASE 2 correct at all?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
> Anette

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793