[FieldTrip] Importing '.mat' data in to fieldtrip

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jul 11 10:30:58 CEST 2012

Dear Roshan,

0) Welcome to FieldTrip ;)

1) FieldTrip usuaully reads in the stimulus channel and refers to the
triggers as events. See also here:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/what_is_the_relation_between_events_such_as_triggers_and_trials
trialinfo can be used for that when you have segmented trials. Actually,
there is no obligation how trialinfo should look like, you can put
whatever information in that you want. I got stimulus trigger, stimulus
offset sample, response sample, response trigger and some additional
flags in there, so everything that facilitates in sorting trials
according to some criteria.
To find out what data you have, you can try to use ft_senstype

2) you might want to look at the Donders Machine Learning Toolbox, which
is under external/dmlt. For the design, I assume it's an ordinary design
matrix, so maybe you want to read the walkthrough and these tutorials:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/walkthrough?s[]=design#statistics
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/cluster_permutation_timelock?s[]=design
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/cluster_permutation_freq?s[]=design

Good luck with the data and have fun with FieldTrip.

Best,
Jörn

On 7/11/2012 5:25 AM, Roshan Nair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have MEG/EEG data in '.mat' format(Biomag 2012 data analysis dataset).
> The data is already epoched. It was straightforward to convert it in to the
> required fieldtrip structure - {label, fsample, trial, time} and run
> ft_databrowser on it. No problems so far.
>
> However, I feel I might be going wrong with the following:-
> 1. The trials include data for STI(stimulus) channels(I believe its an
> Elekta Neuromag Vectorview 306 system)? Is there a 'fieldtrip' way to
> represent this. Is this what 'data.trialinfo' is for? If so, how should I
> populate the trialinfo field.
> 2. The dataset comes with a file called 'design' with one entry(an
> integer) per trial. This is the category of the
> stimulus(living/non-living)presented to the subject for each trial. This is
> the output my classifier will be trained on. I'm assuming fieldtrip has
> some standard way of including this. I noticed, the multivariate analysis
> mentions a parameter called 'design'.
>
> Sorry, if thats confusing, but, I'm new to fieldtrip and MEG data.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Roshan

Jörn M. Horschig
PhD Student