[FieldTrip] MEG-anatomical MRI image coregistration

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 16:48:33 CEST 2012

Dear Nenad,

My 2 cents:

1) As long as you are convinced that both give appropriately accurate
segmentations - something easily checked along the way by
superimposing stripped brain,stull etc on the original scan - I don't
see any reason against using them together in one study. Also, as you
will probably not work on the high resolution of your T3 (i.e. 1mm
isomorphic), but on downsampled grids for beamformer (i.e. 5 mm
isomorphic), below the resolution of your 1.5T scans, differences in
resolution should not confound your results on source level.
Ofcourse in some specific cases in between- or within-group
comparisons you could do a control analysis, e.g. using scan device as
a covariate in your analysis, just to be sure, but I can think of only
some very specific situations where that could be the case.

2) The localisation error would be related to how close you think you
can co-register [sic]. I would consider that addive uncertainty above
the localisation errors you'll unavoidably already have with your
recording (movement) and source reconstruction (i.e. point-spread of
the beamformer and such). I don't know what you mean exactly with
'software-based marking'. If you know where your MEG coils where in
respect to anatomical landmarks, you can intelligently 'guess' where
they are on the anatomical and just put them there by hand (nasion
would be pretty close, ears probably put them e.g. 1.5 cm anterior to
ear canals). The added uncertainty will be the degree of uncertainty
you have being able to do that, right?
If with 'software-based marking' you mean the use of a polemus device
than that would probably be better.
In any case, being conservative i would say the by-eye-method would
increase your uncertainly by another cm or 2, instead of about a cm
when appropriately using vitamin markers. I have no data to back that
claim up though.

Good luck!
Stephen